Hi all,

Joachim Worringen wrote:
> On Jun 18, 11:19 am, Boaz Harrosh <bharr...@panasas.com> wrote:
>> On 06/18/2009 10:56 AM, Joachim Worringen wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> I tried to use Open-iSCSI with a non-tcp socket type and failed
>>> (timeout after connection has been established).
>>> Looking at the source, the reason is obvious: for sending data
>>> (iscsi_send()), the function pointers from sock->sk are used via the
>>> kernel socket API. This works well with non-tcp sockets. Howver, for
>>> reading data (see callback handler iscsi_tcp_data_ready()),
>>> tcp_read_sock() is used instead of the related kernel socket API call.
>> Sounds good. Could you test out your solution and send a patch?
>> If it tests out, I don't see why not.
>
> We don't have a solution yet, just a problem...
>
>>> Is there a specific reason for this? iSCSI would surely benefit from
>>> using high-performance, non-tcp sockets if available (I'm talking
>>> about SuperSockets in this case,
>>> seehttp://www.dolphinics.com/products/dolphin-supersockets.html).
>> Sure sounds nice. If it is a simple and compatible change it sounds very
>> good.
>
> I haven't looked into it enough to claim it'll be a simple change. I
> figure the iscsi recv code will change completely, but would be
> simplified as we don't need to deal with the tcp buffer details etc.
> when using a simple socket recv call, but it remains to be seen how
> this affects compatibility, i.e. conc. partial or interrupted
> transfer.
>
> It is not decided whether we allocate resources for this.

Well, the obvious solution here is to implement another transport module (eg
iscsi_supersockets.c) much like it's done for iSER.
The rest of the code should be sufficiently abstracted to handle it properly.

There is a reason why it's called iscsi_tcp.c ...

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
h...@suse.de                          +49 911 74053 688