Hi all,

I'm currently attempting to implement a Dell EqualLogic iSCSI solution
connected through m1000e switches to Dell m610 blades with (2) iSCSI
dedicated nics in each blade running Oracle VM Server v2.1.5 (which, I
believe, is based off of RHEL5.1).

[r...@oim6102501 log]# rpm -qa | grep iscsi
iscsi-initiator-utils-6.2.0.868-0.7.el5
[r...@oim6102501 log]# uname -a
Linux oim6102501 2.6.18-8.1.15.3.1.el5xen #1 SMP Tue May 12 19:21:30 EDT
2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I have setup a bond with the two nics to test this out initially and had
no problems.  This allows for failover (active-passive bond).  I
discovered my targets, I logged into sessions, and recognized everything
from dm-multipath.  I fdisked, formatted drives, and mounted them.    I
then ran lots of dd's to and from the disks with speeds around 90MB/sec
when `dd if=/dev/mapper/ovm-1-lun0p1 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1000`

So since this is going to be one of many VM servers in our OVM cluster
with multiple VM's running on it (of which many are database servers), I
wanted to try to make this more efficient.  Therefore, I read that by
using the `iscsiadm -m iface` syntax you can (instead of bonding) setup
(2) nics individually, each with an IP on that same segment as your
iSCSI storage.  From what I understand, this allows (2) sessions to be
created to each volume-- which should give you a little more throughput.
I did this:

iscsiadm -m iface -I eth2 --op=new
iscsiadm -m iface -I eth3 --op=new
iscsiadm -m iface -I eth2 --op=update -n iface.hwaddress -v
00:10:18:3A:5B:6C
iscsiadm -m iface -I eth3 --op=update -n iface.hwaddress -v
00:10:18:3A:5B:6E
iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p 192.168.0.19 -P 1
iscsiadm -m node --loginall=all

dm-multipath sees 2 paths now to each volume.  If I run `iscsiadm -m
session -P 3` I can see which /dev/sdX device is used by which multipath
device.  I have multipath setup to load balance across both paths with
rr_min_io set to 10 in /etc/multipath.conf (which it is my understanding
that this will send 10 I/Os to one path and then switch to the other
path).

my eth2 is 192.168.0.151
my eth3 is 192.168.0.161

my group is 192.168.0.19
my eql interface#1 is 192.168.0.30
my eql interface#1 is 192.168.0.31

[r...@oim6102501 log]# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
10.0.10.0       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
vlan10
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0
eth3
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0
eth2
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0
eth3
0.0.0.0         10.0.10.254     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0
vlan10

PROBLEM:
========
I'm now having some odd issues where everything appears to work fine.  I
can mount drives and dd stuff around.  But then I will occasionally get
"Reset received on the connection" from my EqualLogic logs.  I will see
the same thing in /var/log/messages from my kernel scsi layer as well as
dm-multipath layer.  When I look at `iscsiadm -m session -P 2` I can see
the following:

iSCSI Connection State: TRANSPORT WAIT
iSCSI Session State: Unknown
Internal iscsid Session State: REPOEN

By the way, is that a bug?  "REPOEN"?  should it be "REOPEN"?

Within about 1-2 minutes it will reconnect.  But I'm a bit baffled what
would cause this.

QUESTION:
=========
Since I am creating two iscsi sessions (one out eth2 and eth3), I'm
wondering how routing plays into sessions.  Since iscsiadm is given the
hwaddress, does iscsid need to care much about routing?  In other words,
let's say that, for whatever reason, my session that I had through eth3
(that session, by the way, is connected to 192.168.0.31 on the
EqualLogic) timesout.  iscsid sees this and attempts to REOPEN the
session.  Since my routing table shows eth2 above the route for eth3,
IP-wise, eth2 will be the interface that would typically be chosen for
that traffic to route out of.  However, is iscsid smart enough to not
use that route and instead select the iface (based on hwaddress) to use
for that reconnection?