Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 4 Aug 2009 at 10:51, solidguy wrote:
>
>> We're using open-iscsi to connect a large number of virtual machines
>> on a single host to the backend storage (in this case the hypervisor
>> is Xen). We need to figure out how much memory to allocate for the
>> management domain (dom0) -- and this is partly derived from the memory
>> usage per ISCSI connection. Does anybody know offhand how much this
>> would be for x86 and x86_64  kernel?
>
> We run a dom0 with 256/384MB RAM, but have reduced it to a bare minimum (e.g.
> no
> X11 GUI, only terminal/SSH). However a bit more RAM would not harm.

Watchout here, each SCSI device / LUN will take up quite a bit of memory.
So if you're running on a low-RAM system you should take care not to
connect too many LUNs to it.
As an estimate I would take 1M per LUN; which is grossly exaggerated,
of course, but will give you enough leeway to continue with your normal
operations.

w/o YaST2, of course, which is a real memory hog :-)

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
h...@suse.de                          +49 911 74053 688