Mike Christie wrote:
> Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>>> scsi-ml eh only allows one eh operation, and injecting tmfs tries to
>>> only allow one (there is a race though).
>>>
>> Yes, but this disregards user-space initiated resets.
>

> Yes, the scsi-ml comment disregards userspace.
>
> The injecting tmfs comment is about injecting the tmfs from userspace.
> scsi_reset_provider sets tmf_in_progress, so later if another call to
> scsi_nonblockable_ioctl is called scsi_block_when_processing_errors will
> wait for the running tmf to complete. Or in sg.c's case it calls
> scsi_block_when_processing_errors and scsi_reset_provider itself.
>
> Either way the locking kinda sucks since it looks like it was trying to
> only allow one TMF to be injected at a time, but we can end up getting
> multiple ones sometimes. scsi_reset_provider sets tmf_in_progress, but
> before it has done this another call could have passed the
> scsi_block_when_processing_errors call so we could get multiple resets
> going.

True.

> I thought I asked before if we should just fix the locking with
> scsi_block_when_processing_errors/scsi_reset_provider so we only allow
> one tmf like was probably intended. Or, we maybe we should remove that
> code since it probably does not work as intended. And then we can make
> iscsi able to handle multiple tmfs like you really want.

Yes, I would think that fixing up the locking would probably be enough.
We don't really need to send multiple TMFs if the one we've sent returns
quickly enough.
Which was the main reason for this patchset :-)

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
h...@suse.de                          +49 911 74053 688