Matthew Schumacher wrote:
> I'm setting up open-iscsi on slackware 12.2.  I built a initrd image
> that loads up the modules, logs in, and mounts root on iscsi and all is
> well until after the machine is running and I want to connect to another
> iscsi target.  This causes strange behavior:
>
> 1.  I can kill iscsid and everything keeps working.  I've not seen this
> before.  In the past I needed to have iscsid running in order to do
> anything since root is on iscsi.  Anyone know why this is?

You need iscsid to log in, log out, and for error handling (like if you
pull a cable or reboot a target).

You can actually kill iscsid after you have logged in, and you can still
run IO like mount a FS or do run some DB. iscsid is not used for any of
those operations. However, if there was a network problem we would not
be able to relogin and recover from the problem until you restarted
iscsid (if iscsid was on the disk you need to recover then you are
screwed). And if you want to logout of the target, then you would need
to restart iscsid, before logging out.

> 2.  If try to login to a target right after boot I get:
> "iscsiadm: initiator reported error (13 - daemon access denied)"
> however, after I restart iscsid I get, "Login to [iface: default,

Do you get the access error when trying to log in from the initramfs,
then do you restart iscsid from there too or do you restart it from
somwhere else?

> target: mail, portal: x.x.x.x,3260]: successful" which looks good except
> I don't get my scsi disks setup in /dev.  Looking at dmesg shows:
>
> scsi2 : iSCSI Initiator over TCP/IP
> scsi scan: INQUIRY result too short (5), using 36
>

> This was working fine in slackware 12.1 so the only major difference is
> the kernel which is now 2.6.27.7.

The iscsi initiator does not do the scanning. It asks the scsi layer to.
The scsi layer (this where the message about being too short is from)
handle this, so it might be due to a change in upstream kernel.

Or, the initiator could be completely screwed up and could be messing up
packets.

> Anyone know what is up with this and how to fix it?  Is git head stable
> enough to try it?

It is right now.