Matthew Schumacher wrote:

> Thanks Mike, I'll try another kernel and report back.

If I use kernels 2.6.27.7, 2.6.27.34, or 2.6.28.10 (what I had on hand)
I get the very same error message after iscsi connects:

scsi2 : iSCSI Initiator over TCP/IP
scsi scan: INQUIRY result too short (5), using 36

Why it works in my initram fs is beyond me.

One thing that is interesting is what /sys/bus/scsi/devices shows.

I see a host entry for iscsi, but no targets or devices.  It looks like
everything comes up except the scsi layer.

schu