mMPuhxfKAYuIFTjZ)
> With 16 random letters with digits you are at about 95 bits (e.g.
> b3v4B8mRoiFWjpF9)
>
> The bad thing is that some characters look quite similar so users,
like
> '0'
> and'O', or '1' and 'l'. When trying to omit those potentially
confusing
> characters
> (plus adding other punctuation characters, leaving out space for
> obvious reasons),
> I'm at about 83 bits (e.g. u\FphNwuuWCT74+h).
>
> As a side note: Passwords with only six letters in one case only make
> about 28
> bits. Now if you think that most users will use words, you can guess
> how poor
> those passwords actually are.
>
> Using the fully printable ASCII characterset without those characters
> that are
> considered "unsafe" in UNIX, 16 characters would have about 102 bits
of
> entropy
> (e.g. !)Zbl(p7%Hd88L>T)
>

> > The spec suggests that a chap secret be at least 96bits or (12
> > characters) but I see that only the AUTH_STR_MAX_LEN of 256
> characters
> > is used for error checking.
>
> Even when just using digits, that would be 850 bits of entropy,
> probably enough ;-
> )
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich
>

> > Am I reading this correctly ?
> >
> > -Shyam Iyer
> >
> > --

> http://groups.google.com/group/open-iscsi?hl=en.

Essentially what you are saying is that we haven't implemented the
secret's bit randomness calculation to check if has atleast 96bits of
entropy.

So I guess we should do some thing like this ....

If (check_96bit_entropy(<secret>) && secret < AUTH_MAX_STR_LEN) {
        Use_secret ....
}
else {
        Secret not strong enough ..throw error...
}