On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 06:54:17AM -0800, Jack Z wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was testing the performance of open-iscsi initiator with IET target
> over a 100Mbps Ethernet link with emulated rtt.  What I did was to do
> raw disk sequential write by
>
> $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1024 count=1048576

Did you also try with bigger block sizes? 1k blocks are pretty small.

try bs=1024k to see if it makes a difference.

> , in which /dev/sdb is the iSCSI device. I also measured TCP
> throughput using iperf with the default setup except "-n 1024M". And I
> got the following data on iSCSI throughput and TCP throughput v.s. rtt
>
> rtt (ms)        iSCSI throughput by dd (MB/s)   TCP throughput by
> iperf (Mbit/s)
> 0.2               11.3
> 94.3
> 4                  11.1
> 94.3
> 8                  10.2
> 94.3
> 12                8.6
> 94.2
> 16                7.2
> 94.2
> 20                6.0
> 94.1
>
> local disk throughput by dd was 26.7 MB/s.
>
> As shown in the table above, iSCSI throughput declined rapidly with
> rtt increased from 0.2ms to 20ms. TCP throughput, however, only
> dropped less than 1 percent.

dd will use only one outstanding IO, so you have wait for rtt
milliseconds after every IO for the ack.. so that definitely slows you
down a lot when rtt gets bigger.

Try using some benchmarking tool that can do multiple outstanding IOs..
for example ltp disktest.

-- Pasi