On 03/16/2010 06:36 PM, dancho wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are buying some recent 64-bit capable machines to serve as iSCSI
> backends to a file-server.
>
> I was wondering whether somebody has input on which architecture x86
> or x86_64 we should use for our iSCSI backends if we use the open-
> iscsi driver?

"iSCSI backends" you mean iscsi-targets? Those machines that serve the
disks? Well that has nothing to do with open-iscsi. open-iscsi is the
initiator that sits on the filesystem side of the network.

For iscsi-targets you have 4 choices in Linux. IET, tgt, SCST, and LIO
not specifically in any order. Look up for each project's mailing-list
and ask there.

> Does it matter at all? What are some factors that come
> into play here?
>
> For example:
>
> 1) Does memory performance differ and matter?
> 2) Is there any effect on disk performance?
> 3) What about network performance?
> 4) Which architecture are most open-iscsi users adopting (this would
> potentially speed bug detection and resolution)?

As rule of a thumb 64-bit any time. Unless you are very low on
memory and memory pressure becomes an issue.

But this is totally theoretical, I've never seen an actual test.

> Is anybody aware of any benchmarks that compare 32-bit vs 64-bit
> performance with open-iscsi?

If you find/preform a test please post the results, that could be
interesting.

> Thanks!
> Iordan Iordanov

Boaz