Good day,

I am utilizing a Ubuntu 9.10 amd64 open-iscsi 2.0-870 initiator
connecting to a highly available OpenSolaris snv_134 64bit COMSTAR
target. The HA target consists of one active and one passive identical
OpenSolaris servers utilizing the same disk. When the active target
fails the passive target comes on-line using the same I.P. address,
target information, and serves up the same disk.

I have verified that the OpenSolaris servers are failing over
properly. The whole fail over process takes between 30-45 seconds.

The problem lies after the active target goes off-line and the passive
target becomes the active target. During fail over I can see the
initiator iSCSI disk going into block state and the initiator session
going into FAIL state. When the target fail over is complete I can see
the initiator iSCSI disk is in state running and the initiator session
state is LOGGED_IN.  Even though the output from iscsiadm states this
disk is running and the iSCSI session is established I can no longer
access this iSCSI disk via the file system and the disk no longer
shows up in fdisk nor am I able to mount it. If I log out of the
target and log back in the disk becomes available and usable.
Unfortunately I do not want to log out and log back in to the target
because there will be active KVM VMs whose file system is based off of
this iSCSI connection and the KVM VMs will cease to work if a logout/
login happens.

Another oddity I find is that when I fail back to the original state
(the original passive node is no longer active and the off-line active
node is now back on-line and active) the disk in question becomes
available and usable by the system.

Here is output from some relevant processes while the initiator is
successfully connected to the HA target.

Any help, insight, or ideas would be greatly appreciated! I can
provide any other output and/or settings needed to provide more in-
depth information.

Thank you in advance,
Preston Connors

FDISK OUPUT BEFORE FAIL OVER:

r...@host:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Disk /dev/sdd: 5368 MB, 5368709120 bytes
166 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1018 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 10292 * 512 = 5269504 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x508cb22f

/dev/sdd1               1        1018     5238597   83  Linux

ISCSIADM OUTPUT BEFORE FAIL OVER:

r...@host:~# iscsiadm -m session -P 3
iSCSI Transport Class version 2.0-870
iscsiadm version 2.0-870

Target: iqn.1986-03.com.sun:mirror:iscsi-failover-test
        Current Portal: 192.168.1.1:3260,2
        Persistent Portal: 192.168.1.1:3260,2
                **********
                Interface:
                **********
                Iface Name: default
                Iface Transport: tcp
                Iface Initiatorname: iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:bb82d0f5e87f
                Iface IPaddress: 192.168.1.2
                Iface HWaddress: default
                Iface Netdev: default
                SID: 3
                iSCSI Connection State: LOGGED IN
                iSCSI Session State: LOGGED_IN
                Internal iscsid Session State: NO CHANGE
                ************************
                Negotiated iSCSI params:
                ************************
                HeaderDigest: None
                DataDigest: None
                MaxRecvDataSegmentLength: 131072
                MaxXmitDataSegmentLength: 32768
                FirstBurstLength: 65536
                MaxBurstLength: 524288
                ImmediateData: Yes
                InitialR2T: Yes
                MaxOutstandingR2T: 1
                ************************
                Attached SCSI devices:
                ************************
                Host Number: 6  State: running
                scsi6 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 0
                        Attached scsi disk sdd          State: running

ISCSIADM OUTPUT DURING FAIL OVER:

r...@host:~# iscsiadm -m session -P 3
iSCSI Transport Class version 2.0-870
iscsiadm version 2.0-870

Target: iqn.1986-03.com.sun:mirror:iscsi-failover-test
        Current Portal: 192.168.1.1:3260,2
        Persistent Portal: 192.168.1.1:3260,2
                **********
                Interface:
                **********
                Iface Name: default
                Iface Transport: tcp
                Iface Initiatorname: iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:bb82d0f5e87f
                Iface IPaddress: 192.168.1.2
                Iface HWaddress: default
                Iface Netdev: default
                SID: 3
                iSCSI Connection State: TRANSPORT WAIT
                iSCSI Session State: FAILED
                Internal iscsid Session State: REPOEN
                ************************
                Negotiated iSCSI params:
                ************************
                HeaderDigest: None
                DataDigest: None
                MaxRecvDataSegmentLength: 131072
                MaxXmitDataSegmentLength: 32768
                FirstBurstLength: 65536
                MaxBurstLength: 524288
                ImmediateData: Yes
                InitialR2T: Yes
                MaxOutstandingR2T: 1
                ************************
                Attached SCSI devices:
                ************************
                Host Number: 6  State: running
                scsi6 Channel 00 Id 0 Lun: 0
                        Attached scsi disk sdd          State: blocked

FDISK OUTPUT AFTER FAIL OVER:
r...@kvm-host-3:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdd
<no output>

ISCSIADM OUTPUT AFTER FAIL OVER:
[...]

Here is my /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf:

r...@kvm-host-3:~# grep -v "#" /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf

node.startup = automatic
node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout = 120
node.conn[0].timeo.login_timeout = 15
node.conn[0].timeo.logout_timeout = 15
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval = 5
node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout = 5
node.session.err_timeo.abort_timeout = 15
node.session.err_timeo.lu_reset_timeout = 20
node.session.initial_login_retry_max = 8
node.session.cmds_max = 128
node.session.queue_depth = 32
node.session.iscsi.InitialR2T = No
node.session.iscsi.ImmediateData = Yes
node.session.iscsi.FirstBurstLength = 262144
node.session.iscsi.MaxBurstLength = 16776192
node.conn[0].iscsi.MaxRecvDataSegmentLength = 131072
discovery.sendtargets.iscsi.MaxRecvDataSegmentLength = 32768
node.session.iscsi.FastAbort = Yes