On 07/12/2010 01:56 AM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
Mike Christie<micha...@cs.wisc.edu>  schrieb am 11.07.2010 um 10:31 in
Nachricht<4c39816f.3090...@cs.wisc.edu>:
On 07/08/2010 10:52 PM, Mike Christie wrote:
On 07/08/2010 02:00 PM, Mike Christie wrote:
On 07/08/2010 05:40 AM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
To do discovery do:

# iscsiadm -m discovery2 -t st -p IP:port -D

Hi Mike,

I'd prefer a "compatibility" set over "discovery2", i.e. Instead of
replacing "discovery" with "discovery2" (with new semantics), keep the
"discovery", but add a "-V 2" (for campatibility version 2).
Then the commands could default to "-V 1", allowing the old things to
work. At a later time you could default to "-V 2", declaring "-V 1"
deprecated. At a still later release you could obsolete "-V 1".
Likewise for "-V 3" and so on.
Maybe an environment variable to set the compatibility version also
would be nice. So old scripts could be run like
$ ISCSI_COMPATIBILITY=1 ./old_script.sh

This is fine with me. Let me work on a patch.

I made the attached patch. It is made over that open-iscsi-2.0-872-rc2
tarball I posted a link to the in original mail (it also applies over
the open-iscsi.git tree).

The new command param is -C/--cmd-version. To do discovery with the new
cmd do:

Actually I am not liking this patch because I doubt I will ever remove
-V 1 support, because I can barely track down the iscsiadm users just at
Red Hat. There is no way I am going to be able to check with all the
other distros. So we will be stuck with having to pass in that extra
argument.

Well, it's a matter of time: Usually the enterprise distributions have
something like three to six years of maintenance. Any we cannot help anyone
that uses a six year old Linux base trying to use the latest iSCSI tools. Using
old base with old tools is OK, as ist a new base with new tools.

I do not try to align with any specific distro schedule so it is not that simple. If I cut off support for a command in this release it would be the switch over from RHEL 5 to RHEL 6 which is perfect, but it would be in the middle of RHEL5 and would be during the life of some SLESs and in the beginning of a Ubuntu. And I have no idea about vmware and debian.

And, I will help users using a 6 year old distro with new tools if I know the kernel, or if SUSE or some distro needs help upgrading their tools I do help them.

In this new patch it should be clear that the old mode is always going
to be supported (removed the depreciated warning) and that the new mode
works on and uses the discovery db where the old mode had you modify the
iscsid.conf.

So it just adds a new mode discoverydb. It works like the discovery2
mode but is renamed.

Now if you consider you are going to change another command's semantics. I
still think the -C is a more clear approach to things.

Even if we add new commands, I think we are always going to have the 2 discovery modes because some people like the iscsid.conf editing method we have now. They want to use iscsiadm as little as possible. Other people hate editing iscsid.conf and have been asking for a iscsiadm way of doing it. I am a push over and cannot think of reasons why one is always better so we will have both :)