On 07/14/2010 05:52 PM, Mike Christie wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 05:30 AM, HIMANSHU wrote:
>> How can we know error status of iscsiadm commands like
>> discovery,login,logout.
>>
>> I think,all of them directly returns corresponding success/failure
>> messages.
>>
>> so mostly I can just fire the commands without checking any error
>> codes after it?
>>

> If you run
>
> iscsiadm -m node .... -l
>
> iscsiadm should return a error code like other programs. If you wanted
> to see it you could do
>
> iscsiadm -m node .... -l
> echo $?

Speaking of which. When I want to completely run from a script file
I currently have two ugly loops

after starting the iscsi service and before I can iscsiadm I must do:

start_iscsi_intiator()
{
        if ! service $ISCSI status; then
                service iscsi start ;

                until cat /sys/class/iscsi_transport/tcp/handle 2>/dev/null ; do
                        sleep 1;
                done
        fi
}

Effectively wait for the /sys/class/iscsi_transport/tcp/handle file to appear

And after login but before I can actually start banging on my scsi device I
need:
login_iscsi()
{
        echo login into: $IP_ISCSI
        $iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p $IP_ISCSI --login;

        until ls $DEV_ISCSI 2>/dev/null; do sleep 1; done
}

Effectively wait for the device to appear. This one is particularly nasty
because it assumes that I know what $DEV_ISCSI will be.

Would we want to add a --wait-server and --wait switches to iscsiadm
--wait-server   - will wait for the iscsi-kernel-modules and iscsid server
                  to stabilize. (until some timeout)
--wait          - with a --login will wait (with timeout) until the loggedin
                  device is available.

How can it be done?

Boaz