> How did you get those other kernel messages? If you can just get the
> iscsid log info that is sent after lines like this

I'm able to issue the "dmesg" command after the drive is lost and
still retrieve some logging info. Unfortunately, what I sent was all
that I can get. If the drive ever successfully reconnects then I can
get to /var/log/messages and see the info you are looking for. I've
only ever had a successful reconnect when intentionally causing a
disconnect (i.e. pulling the ethernet cable and then reconnecting
it).

I don't know much about unix logging, but maybe there is a way to send
more of the logging messages to "dmesg" as that doesn't appear to need
disk access to be read.

> What version of open-iscsi-871 are you using is it 871.1 or .2 .3?
I downloaded the "current semi-stable release":
http://www.open-iscsi.org/bits/open-iscsi-2.0-871.tar.gz
It doesn't appear to have a minor version number. Should I be using
something else?

> Do you see anything in /var/log/messages for the target though?
> Something about aborts or lun resets completing?
I'll need to specifically look for this again to be sure, but in the
past I've seen no messages from the target in /var/log/messages after
failures.