On 10/26/2010 03:29 AM, Andrea Sperelli wrote:
Hi Mike, thank you.
I did some test activities...
I really don't like the Linux+Lefthand behaviour.
On Lefthand node failure, Linux looses each path for each target of
the node. iSCSI initiator contatcts the LeftHand vip and
reestabilishes the session on another lefthand node.
I removed Mulitpath and configured bonding... It was not useful n this
situation.
I do not like it. It seems me less safe than iscsi + multipath. With
multipath the Linux server can never loose the path on only one node
san failure.
I cano not decide a different Lefthand configuration (two portal
without VIP), so I have to let this config on production.

The problem is that the iscsi/scsi layer will only retry a IO for this type of problem up to 5 times. So if you had to cycle through more than 5 portals you are screwed, or if the problem took more retries you are in trouble.

A workaround could be to use dm-multipath over your iscsi setup. Here you would just be using dm-multipath to force retries.

So if you lose a path
- iscsi would fail the IO to the dm-multipath driver
- dm-multipath would fail the single path and internally queue IO for the /etc/multipath.conf no_path_retry seconds. - iscsi would try the VIP address and get redirected to a new portal, and would login.
- dm-multipath would figure out the path is back up and start IO.
- iscsi would hopefully work this time. If not then we would repeat the steps above but the VIP addr would redirect us to a new address.

dm-multipath does not have a retry count, so you are not limited like if you were just using raw scsi/iscsi disk. Instead it has the no_path_retry paramter which puts an upper bound on how long you would internally queue IO when all paths are down.