What is the kernel version?

2.6.32-5-xen-686 (Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-18).

You are running this in the disk and not on a FS right?

Did you also increase the multipath.conf rr_min_io?

Yes I'm running it on the disk - the FS would be sdaX afaik.

No I didn't - what should I increase to ideally? Increasing it to 128 doesn't seem to make any difference.

Better, but still not quite what I'd expect for 3x1Gb links. If I down
one of the interfaces, the traffic appears to balance across the
remaining (two) interfaces and I'm left with the same throughput. Where
could the bottleneck lie?

It could be the disk. If you just run the 3 hdparms at the same time, does the combined throughput equal the 67+78+80 or is it closer to what you get with the multipath disk IO test?

If I run all 3 hdparms concurrently (on the different disks - sda, sdb and sdd in this case) I get 42+46+60 - so about equal to what I was getting using bonnie++.