Hi!

Is there any best practice on how to use iscsi with virtualization?

I have a CentOS 5.5 server running as a KVM host for a couple of
guests. I have iscsi-initiator-utils (iscsi-initiator-
utils-6.2.0.871-0.16.el5) installed on this host.

We have bought an Equallogic PS6000 iscsi array which is not yet fully
utilized.

I thought that I'd create volumes in the PS6000 when I needed them,
populate them to the CentOS KVM host and attach the disks to the
virtual guests as needed.

This is apparently not a good idea - since, as far as I can tell at
least, I have to restart the iscsi subsystem every time I present a
new disk from the PS6000. A "service iscsi restart" effectively
destroys all KVM guests using existing, already logged in iscsi disks
will hang indefinitely wondering where their disks disappeared to.

So, is there any best practice regarding using iscsi disks with
virtualization? Or do I have to make up my mind immediately and create
all iscsi disks beforehand and not ever do any changes?

/Jonas