Hi!

Among the most difficult parts of iSCSI configuration with authentication is
picking the correct username and passwords: I never know which is used when.
Any docs?

When debugging discovery, I see:

[...]
iscsiadm: finished reading login PDU, 48 hdr, 0 ah, 62 data, 2 pad
iscsiadm: login current stage 0, next stage 0, transit 0x0
iscsiadm: >    CHAP_A=5
iscsiadm: >    CHAP_I=209
iscsiadm: >    CHAP_C=0x2f5ce6f651bc80352a0219793881f1ed
iscsiadm: login response status 0000
iscsiadm: sending login PDU with current stage 0, next stage 1, transit 0x80,
isid 0x00023d000000 exp_statsn 2
iscsiadm: >    CHAP_N=
iscsiadm: >    CHAP_R=0x994506d0232ee6b3e227bdcf285236ec
iscsiadm: wrote 48 bytes of PDU header
iscsiadm: wrote 52 bytes of PDU data
iscsiadm: read 48 bytes of PDU header
iscsiadm: read 48 PDU header bytes, opcode 0x23, dlength 0, data 0x63fdd0, max
32768
iscsiadm: login response status 0201
iscsiadm: Login failed to authenticate with target
[...]

It's not obvious which of the many configurable usernames and passwords are
used for computing the CHAP response. Can debugging be improved here?

(To make things more complicated, my iSCSI target doesn't allow me to retrieve
the password in effect, so just trying to set them anew could break other
initiators...)

Regards,
Ulrich