Thanks for help, Eddie. Indeed, we've been running custom version of
kernel (forgot to tell that, and it's the only modification to stock
installation :) that doesn't have that module included.

Here's what I get in log when I start /etc/init.d/iscsi:
Jul 30 01:38:30 stage iscsid: iSCSI logger with pid=9177 started!
Jul 30 01:38:30 stage iscsid: Missing or Invalid version from /sys/
module/scsi_transport_iscsi/version. Make sure a up to date
scsi_transport_iscsi module is loaded and a up todate version of
iscsid is running. Exiting...

After that, only brcm_iscsiuio is running. So I guess you should
follow the iscsid's behaviour and exit if you see the configuration is
incorrect/unusable. And log a human readable message, please!

Thanks again.