Is there a version of 2.0.872 building on a 2.6.38 kernel? I need it
bacuse I need to boot my 2.6.38 system (ubuntu 11.04 32 bit) with root
on iSCSI. The 2.0.871 iscsid does not recconect the root device once
started and I read on the net that 2.0.872 works. The kernel modules
of the 2.0.872 tarball are
not compatible with the 2.6.38 kernel. Does anybody have a version
that correctly builds and works
with 2.6.38?

This is what I have tried:
I have downloaded the tarball of open-iscsi 2.0.872 from the link on
the main page and tried
to build it against a 2.6.38 kernel (ubuntu 2.6.38-8-generic
actually). The user land tools built just fine, however the kernel
modules did not - there was no rule to build linux_2_6_38. Looking
into the Makefile in the kernel dir I realized that this is needed for
paching and the last kernel set was linux_2_6_35 (no patching). Based
on that rule I created a new one for linux_2_6_38 and with that the
kernel modules built as well (at first glance). I have installed the
tools and kernel modules to my disk image. On booting via iscsi
libiscsi.ko crashed on a iscsi_queuecommand call, however.
Looking in the build log more closely and checking the kernel headers
and libiscsi.c the problem seems to be that according to scsi_host.h
of the 2.6.38 kernel the queuecommand() function should
have a signature

int (*queuecommand)(struct Scsi_Host *, struct scsi_cmnd *);

whereas the iscsi_queuecommand() function in libiscsi.c comming form
the 2.0.872 tarball has signature

int iscsi_queuecommand(struct scsi_cmnd *, void (*done)(struct
scsi_cmnd *));

I have downloaded the v2.6.38 snapshot from git but the module has
version 2.0.870 there, so of not much help either, although
iscsi_queuecommand() has the righ signature there (compatible with
scsi_host.h of the 2.6.38).