Hello all,

we are about to configure a new storage system that utilizes the Nexenta OS
with sparsely allocated ZVOLs. We wish to present 4TB of storage to a Linux
system that has four NICs available to it. We are unsure whether to present one
large ZVOL or four smaller ones to maximize the use of the NICs available to
us. We have set rr_min_io to 100 which we have found offers a good level of
performance. Though this raises an interesting question; that the
multipath.conf man pages says that the rr_min_io parameter is the number of IOs
across the whole path group before a switch is made to the next path. What
constitutes a single IO operation ? A user opens a file for read access, one
IOP to open the file, IOsX to read the contents, and another to close ? Do each
of those SCSI operations happen on the same path ie. on the same block device ?
If a second user comes along and requests data from the same block device do
they happen on the same path or the next one in the path group ? We imagine
that they will all happen on the same path until rr_min_io is reached and it
switches over to the next path.

We are trying to squeeze out the maximum performance from our system and we are
unable to max out our 4 x 1Gbe interfaces. Any thoughts on how we can improve
our performance ?
--
Thanks, Phil