On 12/01/2011 02:28 AM, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> Mike Christie wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2011 11:46 AM, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
>>> Hi - We have some working Fedora 14 diskless systems with root on iscsi.
>>> On upgrading to Fedora 16 the system seems to hang if the network
>>> connection to the target is lost and regained.
>>>

>> Did you use the installer from fedora to setup iscsi root or did you do
>> a custom solution? What about on fedora 16?
>
> We're using a semi-custom solution - the same on both F14 and 16. We rsync a
> standard Fedora disk-based root to an iscsi target. We take the standard
> Fedora vmlinuz and initrd (after being created using dracut with network
> booting enabled) and boot these using pxeboot (served over tftp). A dhcp
> server provides the root-path option to tell the initrd where the root is.
>
> We modify the /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf file on the root disk to change the
> suggested options. Perhaps this is now too late in the boot sequence, but
> wouldn't "iscsiadm -m node  -o show" show what iscsid is running with?

Not exactly. iscsid.conf is used as the default settings for the
node/portal records. When you run the iscsiadm discovery/new command
then iscsiadm will create records in /etc/iscsi/nodes or
/var/lib/iscsi/nodes (depends on the version) for each portal
found/setup. When you run iscsiadm -m node -o show you are seeing those
values in the db. When the iscsi service starts (when we login to a
target), iscsiadm reads the db and uses those settings for each session.
So some of those settings might be what we ask the target to use but we
might end up negotiating some other value with the target.

>> On the F16 system is iscsid running?
>
> Apparently (systemctl reports the service as running):
> root       795  0.0  0.0  12908   656 ?        Ss   Nov30   0:01 iscsid
> root       796  0.0  0.1  15796  5576 ?        S<Ls Nov30   0:04 iscsid

So it is up. Could you send the /var/log/messages for when this happens?

Note that if the connection is lost for longer than
node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout then you are basically out of
luck. IO errors will get to the root fs and it will panic. For F16 you
would want to set that to -1 instead of 9999999.