I am trying to better understand iSCSI boot. Towards that end, I'm trying to understand how, during iSCSI boot, the system gets the interface attributes.

Of course this will depend on what hardware & driver you use.

I had an email exchange with Qlogic a few months ago about their driver situation (for the 4062C anyway). IIRC the driver that is in the standard Linus kernel didn't fully integrage with iscsiadm (or SAN surfer) as well as the one that you can download from their site. I thought it would at least let iscsiadm show the session info though.

I believe they were trying to get the fully functional version into the vanilla kernel for RH 6.2; but I haven't yet tried it out.

Mark