On Aug 31, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Spelic <spe...@shiftmail.org> wrote:

> On 08/31/12 17:40, Michael Christie wrote:
>> On Aug 31, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Spelic <spe...@shiftmail.org> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think LIO supports what you are trying to do. I do not think that it
>> just automatically detects if a lvm device supports discards and then
>> exports that. If you were using a passthrough scsi device that supports it
>> then I think it would just work.  On the initiator side for the iscsi disk
>> do:
>>
>> cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/A:B:C:D/provisioning_mode
>> cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/A:B:C:D/provisioning
>>
>> If provisioning is "disabled" then the target is not reporting that it
>> supports it when the scsi layer sets up the disk.
>
> cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/2\:0\:0\:0/provisioning_mode
> full
>
> cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/2\:0\:0\:0/provisioning
> cat: /sys/class/scsi_disk/2:0:0:0/provisioning: No such file or directory
>
> cat /sys/class/scsi_disk/2\:0\:0\:0/thin_provisioning
> 0
>

> "full" instead of "disabled"... does it change anything?

Yes, but you have to have thin_provisioning=1 first, so for you it does not
change anything.

> Anyway, big problem!  So this is a lack of feature in LIO, correct?

I think so. I would email that list.

> Can you suggest any workaround, or do you know if SCST or any other targets
> have that?

I think LIO has it, but you have to do some config steps first. You should
email the LIO list.

SCST seems to support thin provisioning. Ask that list to see how to config.