On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 01:16:22PM -0800, johan...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, November 26, 2012 6:42:16 PM UTC, Mike Christie wrote:
> >
> > On 11/21/2012 06:50 AM, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > > Those two units, based on the work by J�hann B. Gu�mundsson, exploit
> > > on-demand socket activation in iscsid.
> >
> > Did J�hann do some iscsi work on the files in this patch or did you just
> > base your work off some base/example/other unit file he worked on?
> >

> He based his patch on the units in 714688 in bz.rh you know the one that I
> do believe I emailed you about and you never responded to.
>
> I migrated that stuff since the delay was disrupting Dan's walsh work
> libvirt-sandbox containers work and the necessary changes to the spec file
> which he was helping me testing since I'm to busy @dayjob to get into my
> head into iscsi and setup the necessary environment for that then Tomasz
> decided to taking it a step further and socket activate it.
>
> Chris Leech had started looking into what I had submitted not sure where he
> is with that but he had was getting I/O errors and hung reboots when testing
> iSCSI root which indicates the daemon needs to place the following at the
> top of its main() function:
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv) {        argv[0][0] = '@';        ...}
>
> As is mentioned here [1] and it could well be that he has been working on
> implementing that.

I was/am working on this (had some vacation time break this up since we
last talked off-list).  I'm testing the patches from Tomasz, along with
a patch to do the argv[0][0] = '@' thing if an --initrd command line
option is passed in.  I'm using a slightly modified unit file in the
initd that uses "ExecStart=iscsid -f -n --initrd" and "KillMode=none".

The socket activation patch is working well.  I'm getting closer on the
dracut work to use this and start iscsid in the initrd.  It's a lot
cleaner than I originally thought it might be, and I think better than
trying to revive the _netdev mount flag logic that's pretty broken at
this point.  I'm not 100% there, the dracut iscsiroot script needs work,
especially if iscsistart is going to be removed.  For iBFT calling
"iscsiadm -m fw -l" works, I need to look at the command line configured
case as well.

- Chris