I have discovered that open-iscsi treats discovery and normal sessions
differently with respect to login parameters. Regardless of the PDU digest
settings in the /etc/iscsid.conf configuration file, open-iscsi _always_
attempts to establish discovery sessions with digests disabled. Is this by
design?

For example, my configuration file contains:

node.conn[0].iscsi.HeaderDigest = CRC32C,None

One would reasonably expect that the initiator would use this value for
session logins. However I have observed that the digest parameter sent by
the initiator to a given target is _always_ None. For the case that I have
configured the target to enable CRC32C  digests for the PDU header, the
discovery login sessions will fail. For subsequent (normal sessions),
open-iscsi does use the digest values as set in the configuration file.

Note: the iSCSI RFC 3720 does not preclude this behaviour -- distinguishing
between discovery and normal session login parameters. However I feel it is
an error to not allow a user of open-iscsi to have control over this.

Comments?

--Eric