On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 07:56:02PM +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> On 02/18/2016 12:01 AM, Chris Leech wrote:
> >This is in response to the previous discussions about login times when
> >scaling
> >out to thousands of sessions.
> >
> >I'm still looking at converting to libudev, but it's going to be a big enough
> >change that I thought it might make sense to just remove the attr_list on
> >it's
> >own first. Sysfs paths are rarely re-read without clearing the list first
> >anyway, and after a few hundred sessions operations become CPU bound on doing
> >strcmp against every item in the list.
> >
> Watchout when converting to libudev.
> The attributes read via libudev are cached, so you won't be getting any
> updates. Caused me grief without end for multipathing.
> In the end I wrote my own wrappers for attributes which may change on the
> fly.

Thanks, that's part of why I went ahead with this smaller fix first.
The libudev attr caches are tied to the udev_device structs, so they
sort of provide a snapshot of a sysfs object that needs to be tossed out
to get new values.  But it is a big API change that needs to be
carefully checked.

- Chris