I'm guessing that all of these issues have to do with the inherent
asynchronous nature of sysfs. The time between an event happening and the
sysfs data representing it is not zero, and when the system becomes busy
this time delta can be large enough so that assumptions in the code start
breaking down.

As long as we rely so heavily on sysfs we will continue to have problems,
especially on highly-loaded system, or systems with huge numbers of
targets/LUNs. Even better caching will not help in this case. The only
thing that might mitigate this issue IMHO, again assuming we continue to
use sysfs, is to build in reasonable retries in every sysfs access.

Chris, is your research on large number of targets lead you to believe
there is a better approach?