On 11/10/2016 07:13 PM, Chris Leech wrote:

>> > Does this patch alone help or is there a scsi piece too?
>
> I had this tested when working a hung task timeout issue at boot, and
> was told that it fixed the issue.  The exact situation may be more
> complex, I think it was only 128 sessions which is surprising that it
> would hit a 2 minute timeout.  But every backtrace was at this mutex.

I think you are also hitting a issue where the normal scan time is
higher than usual and that might be a userspace bug. I am not sure how
the mutex patch helps, but I have not thought about it.

I think iscsid will scan the entire host during login. We only want
iscsi_sysfs_scan_host to scan the specific target for the session we
just logged into.

In the kernel we are setting SCSI_SCAN_RESCAN for the scan and userspace
did echo - - - > ..../scan for the entire host, so iscsi_user_scan is
going to rescan every target that is setup. So once you get to 127
sessions/targets it could be a loonngg scan of all 127 of them, and
target 128 is going to have to wait a loooonnggg time for that mutex and
then also execute a long scan.

If you have userspace do the single target scan, it should execute
faster. I know that does not solve the serialization problem. You will
still have lots of targets waiting to be scanned.