On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 8:02:47 AM UTC-7, a...@seewald.at wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I run hdparm -I on a local device (CDROM) I get...
>
> /dev/sr0:
>
> ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
>  Model Number:       TSSTcorp BDDVDW SN-506BB
>  Serial Number:      R90H6YLG7000QR
>  Firmware Revision:  SB00
>  Transport:          Serial, ATA8-AST, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions,
> SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0
> Standards:
>  Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
> Configuration:
>  DRQ response: 50us.
>  Packet size: 12 bytes
>  cache/buffer size  = unknown
> Capabilities:
>  LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
>  DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
>      Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
>  PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>      Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
> Commands/features:
>  Enabled Supported:
>    * PACKET command feature set
>    * Look-ahead
>    * DEVICE_RESET command
>    * NOP cmd
>      Removable Media Status Notification feature set
>    * Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
>    * Host-initiated interface power management
>    * Phy event counters
>      Device-initiated interface power management
>      Asynchronous notification (eg. media change)
>    * Software settings preservation
>
> However when I run hdparm -I on the same device connected via open-iscsi,
> I get...
>
> /dev/sr1:
> SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00
> 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>

> ATA device, with non-removable media
> Standards:
>  Likely used: 1
> Configuration:
>  Logical max current
>  cylinders 0 0
>  heads 0 0
>  sectors/track 0 0
>  --
>  Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes
>  device size with M = 1024*1024:           0 MBytes
>  device size with M = 1000*1000:           0 MBytes
>  cache/buffer size  = unknown
> Capabilities:
>  IORDY not likely
>  Cannot perform double-word IO
>  R/W multiple sector transfer: not supported
>  DMA: not supported
>  PIO: pio0
>

> I have tried with open-iscsi initiator and both scst-iscsi (latest svn
> version) and tgt (from repository) with the same results. It is probably
> the same problem that is causing the CDROM to be detected as scsi1 and not
> as scsi3-mmc and prevents MMC/AACS playback via bluray since the kernel
> detects CDROM capabilities in a similar way.
>
> Is this a problem in open-iscsi (initiator), the target drivers
> (scst-iscsi / tgt) or something connected (e.g. incomplete emulation of MMC
> [...]

I'm guessing that it's a problem with the transport.

Many transports assume that if a SCSI command completes successfully then
there is no Sense data, but that is not always correct. I'd wager that if
you look in the CD-ROM driver you would see a special case check for this.
The problem then comes when you use a transport that doesn't have any
special cases for this.

Have you tried targetcli-fb? That is the preferred target these days, and
one where I just fixed such a problem for SCSI Tape Drives. (The fix
actually goes into the kernel, where the transport is handled.)

Also, have you tried simulating this on one system, using the debug driver
to emulate a CD-ROM? I only ask because that would make reproducing it much
easier.