If the snapshot deploy directory /x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2- snapshot-repository/org/apache/openjpa/ is available from the continuum server, I might be able to override the snapshotRepository to deploy straight to that directly, in which case we'd have automatic deployment of the snapshot (would would be very handy). Does that sound plausible to you?

It would be perfect. Unfortunately, it's running in a solaris zone on a completely different box :(

That's too bad. To anyone's knowledge, has anyone accomplished automatic nightly deployment of snapshots to the Apache snapshot repository, or is it always a manual process?