Just reading over the OpenJPA-15 thread and now I understand this thread much better.

Kevin, aren't you a committer? If so why not take the patch and apply it, if it works for you and passes the current test suite then it should probably be committed.

If you want a second opinion I'd be glad to try out the patch this afternoon.

TTFN,

-bd-