When OpenJPA is used in a Spring 2.0 environment that is deployed in
say Jetty 6.0, does that count as a J2EE or J2SE environment?

OpenJPA works with 'enhanced' classes. If I want do not want to run
with an JVM agent or pre-compile/enhance my classes then it needs to
be done at runtime. Actually, at class loading time. Right?

Is it technically possible to create a war file that without servlet
container support contains code to correctly enhance classes? Or does
this always need help from the code (in the container) that is
actually loading the .war file and it's containing classes and .jar
files?

S.