This was one of the thoughts we had as well. But, I wanted to check base with you guys first to see if maybe we just didn't have it tuned correctly.
Have you pushed any performance runs with Kodo 4.1 yet?

Kodo has additional performance and caching features, so there may be hotspots in OpenJPA that don't exist in Kodo. I'm hoping our perf team will do some standalone OpenJPA testing at some point, but I don't know when that'll be.
by email and then delete it.