Abe White wrote:
The error message is from the XML parser; we don't have much control over it. How about posting your persistence.xml?
by email and then delete it.
If it looks familiar, it's because for starters I just copied the sample. Once get something parseable, then I'll adapt it.

I looked over the openjpa sources, and it appears that the XML is being handled in nonvalidating mode. I think that attaching the DTD might help. A custom entity resolver allows you to embed the DTD into the JAR instead of making the dreaded trip to the Internet.

I don't claim the be the all-master of Java XML parsing, but I've gotten more than my share of practice in it lately, if I can be of assistance.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<persistence xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/orm";>
 <persistence-unit name="openjpa">
   <class>tutorial.Animal</class>
   <class>tutorial.Dog</class>
   <class>tutorial.Rabbit</class>
   <class>tutorial.Snake</class>
   <properties>
<property name="openjpa.ConnectionURL" value="jdbc:hsqldb:tutorial_database"/> <property name="openjpa.ConnectionDriverName" value="org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver"/>
     <property name="openjpa.ConnectionUserName" value="sa"/>
     <property name="openjpa.ConnectionPassword" value=""/>
     <property name="openjpa.Log" value="DefaultLevel=WARN, Tool=INFO"/>
   </properties>
 </persistence-unit>
</persistence>