Surely.

(1) We do a find method which returns an entity A from the database.

(2) We also have an unmanaged entity instance B separately, that we created
outside any persistence context, whose values we wish to use to update those
in A, and then rewrite A to the database.

(3) We just set the key of B to that of A (namely "48") and do a "merge."
This worked to update A in TopLink Essentials.

(4) Under OpenJPA, we get the exact error message:

> An object of type "com.xxx.entity.entities.FeCmeCommittee" with oid
> "48"
> already exists in this context; another cannot be persisted.

(5) This seems wrong.  The reason the two objects have the same id is
precisely that we want to update the existing entity.

THANK YOU.

Don