On Nov 13, 2006, at 5:33 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
Geir-
On Nov 12, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
I see two issues.

The first, which I'm not so sure of, is that I thought that the m2.... was for jars and stuff packaged ready for maven. Maybe maven can deal w/ deps as zips. Dunno.
AFAIK, Maven can deal with any arbitrary artifact type as a dependency. Whether or not the assembly files make sense as part of the Maven repository is another question. As I say, since Maven bundled the assembly into the repository automatically, and we've been trying to do things the "Maven way", I didn't see any reason not to utilize that feature.

Ok - does anyone put that zip as a maven dep and download it? That's what I'm trying to figure out - really, just learning something about maven.

AFAIK, maven handles dependencies as jar files.

The issue here is where a project is supposed to publish artifacts that are intended to be available to the team to be voted on. This is an incubator or infrastructure issue.

Also note that this is not the only project having trouble with infra policy. Here's a recent rant:

<rant>
I would very *MUCH* appreciate if infra would at some point talk to each other and create a consistent policy regarding these releases and not just about everyone creates another knee-jerked rule.

We (as in Turbine and Velocity) had our nightlies in the www.apache.org/dist directory at some point and got flamed 'because this gets picked up by all the mirrors and cause unneccessary bandwith especially for the nightlies'. So we moved them into another place (cvs.apache.org/dist). These suddently were moved to people.apache.org/dist without any notification to the projects.

No someone else comes along and says 'Oh no, that is wrong, please use www.apache.org/dist'.

COME ON FOLKS! We are trying to provide links to our nightlies and betas *FOR OUR USERS*. How often should we move them? We are already moving in circles. There were policies drafted up and put into SVN. And now suddently someone comes along with 'oh, BTW, I just changed that', back to square one *WITHOUT ANY DISCUSSION*?????? THAT CAN'T BE IT!
</rant>

The right thing here is IMHO to back up the nightlies / beta directory, not move the nightlies / betas into an existing directory.

        Regards
                Henning

I'll point out that Henning is no newbie.

Let's not change course for this release, but follow that discussion in infra.

Craig

The second is that I thought the m2-.... directory was for things that were released. Clearly, before we've approved the artifacts, they aren't released.
I had wondered about that. Looking at past incubation release votes for other projects (ServiceMIX, at http://mail- archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/200609.mbox/% [EMAIL PROTECTED] , and ActiveMQ, at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo- activemq-dev/200609.mbox/% [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3e ), I saw that they had both published the release artifacts to the incubating repository just like we did for this OpenJPA release, and both of those release votes wound up being approved. Also, if we don't advertise that the files are available in that directory, are they considered to be released?

I hope you don't do software security ;)

Finally, is this issue going to derail the vote, or are we discussing it for future consideration of release mechanics?

No, this shouldn't change the vote, because it doesn't change the package that we're looking at, just where it is. Next time, just put it on your personal account at apache :

  http://people.apache.org/~<whatever>

geir

So it would probably be better not to have them there.

geir