Interesting - another approach that I've used when the trunk is kept in a releasable state, you can tag the trunk for a release, ex 1.1, and then if you need to keep working on that for bugfixes (1.1.1), you do a branch and keep going.

Many ways to skin this cat...

Kevin Sutter wrote:
Good points, Craig.

Since there is always the possibility of maintaining a branch, we need a tag
to represent the beginning of that branch -- with no changes ever being
committed to the tag. And, since I don't want to be tied to some particular
naming convention (and I think it would be very confusing), I don't want to
pre-create a branch.

Bottom line, there is a need and desire for both tags and branches.  And, I
agree with Craig, that we don't create the tag until we are sure that a
given branch is released.

Kevin