Hi Kevin,

It's my understanding as well that there's no difference between a branch and a tag from the svn perspective.

I'd like to see the tag created only after we release, if at all. The question for me is whether we would ever change the branch for 0.9.6 after we release it. If not, then I agree that there is no need for a tag as well.

But to take perhaps a more interesting sequence, let's say we release OpenJPA 1.1. We create the 1.1 branch and release it, while changing the trunk to be 1.2-SNAPSHOT. Now we have a bunch of bug fixes for 1.1 and want to release a 1.1.1. We have a choice between a) doing the bug fixing on the 1.1 branch itself and creating the 1.1.1 branch when we want to release 1.1.1; OR b) create the 1.1.1 branch immediately after releasing the 1.1 branch.

With a, we need to tag the 1.1 branch before applying any bug fixes. With b, we don't need to tag but have to remember that any bug fixes should be applied to 1.1.1 branch instead of the 1.1 branch.

Craig