> >> Since there is always the possibility of maintaining a
> >> branch, we need a tag
> >> to represent the beginning of that branch -- with no changes
> >> ever being
> >> committed to the tag.
> >
> > Really? I was under the assumption that svn took care of remembering
> > where the branch was moved from, thus getting rid of the
> need for the
> > extra branch and simplifying merging. But I could be wrong, as I've
> > never merged in svn.
>
> All of these tags and branches are just a convenience for people so
> they don't have to scour the svn commit log to figure out what bits
> are where.
>
> So when you create a branch, you could always remember which svn
> version that was and recreate the branch as it existed from the
> version number when you branched. But once you change the branch, I
> think what we really want to remember is the final version that was
> released, so if we need to go back and say "now, what were those
> released bits created from?" then we simply check out the tag and we
> have the sources that were used for the release.

My interpretation of what Kevin said was that we needed to know the start
point (tag or revision number) of the branch in order to do svn merge
operations (i.e., to merge the branch changes back into the trunk). That
sounds a lot like what I've had to do when using CVS in the past; I was
under the impression that svn handled merging much better than did CVS.

Ignoring any differences between revision numbers and symbolic tags, does
anyone know if we need to know the branch origin in order to do a merge
successfully in svn?

-Patrick
by email and then delete it.