On Dec 11, 2006, at 2:09 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

If you have a null indicator for the collection / map field, then
OpenJPA will preserve the null-ness.

What's that? I see you can specify a column as being not nullable but I don't see anything in the spec about null and collections.

Otherwise, the default value will be dictated by what your no-args
constructor does (or, equivalently, what your member field
initializations do).

What about for a bean acquired via load? Will JPA set an empty collection into the field, or do I need to add initialize the field?

Actually, maybe just skip all that :) What is the best practice for Collection and Map fields?

Also what about this question:

Also, what happens when someone puts a bad value on the Collection
(or Map).  For example, a null in the collection, or an entry in the
map where the pk doesn't match the bean added.

Thanks,

-dain