First, I want to point out that I was wrong about needing to set a lock level in code during an optimistic transaction. So actually for us to run the benchmark, the only necessary setting is:
openjpa.LockManager: pessimistic

Contrary to what Patrick said and I backed up, we don't need to set Optimistic to false or set any lock levels. The defaults will work correctly to avoid locking objects other than those explicitly locked with EM.lock(), and with the above lock manager those explicitly- locked objects will get database locks. This seems to me to be exactly how it should be.

Hmm. It would seem that the LockManager should default to pessimistic
when Optimistic=false. Any reason why this is not the case?

With respect to object locking, Optimistic=false just means that objects are locked automatically at the configured lock levels when read/written. I don't think that should affect what it means to "lock" an object, which is the purview of the LockManager.
by email and then delete it.