Marc,
I just moved up to SR4 of the IBM JDK and, so far (cross your fingers), have
not been able to reproduce the problem.  I know that problems like this
always seem to crop up again at the most inopportune time, but I'm happy now
with SR4.  Thus, no rush (or need?) to change the data-seeding logic in your
testcases.

Thanks,
Kevin