The WebSphere Transaction API does not allow for suspension of a
transaction.  Even if we move to the "official" JPA transaction API
(TransactionSynchronizationRegistry), there is no suspend method available.
I would have to better understand OpenJPA's need for the transaction
suspension before determining whether there are alternatives available.