Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply.

Craig L Russell wrote:

>> Is there a way to change the primary key of an entity in OpenJPA? The
>> expection below doesn't fill me with hope...
>
> The JPA specification 2.1.4 says that the application must not change
> the value of a primary key, but the specific behavior is not defined.
> So OpenJPA is spec compliant.

That's what I was worried about. Actually, I was able to implement the
behaviour I needed by using a bulk UPDATE to change the key, and making sure
the foreign keys were set up correctly (i.e. CASCADE). I guess that being
able to do this is technically a bug in OpenJPA, but please don't fix it!

> That said, there are cases I've seen where changing a primary key is
> useful. So I would not oppose a proposal to add the feature to OpenJPA.
>
> By the way, JDO doesn't prohibit it; there is a specific optional
> feature to allow this. But an implementation has to choose to support
> it.

Adding it to OpenJPA would be a nice start, although adding it to the JPA
spec would be better (along with the rest of the JDO 2.0 that is!)

Cheers,

Roger

>  <4|false|0.9.6-incubating>
> org.apache.openjpa.persistence.InvalidStateException: Attempt to
> change a
> primary key field of an instance that already has a final object
> id. Only
> new, unflushed instances whose id you have not retrieved can have
> their
> primary keys changed. FailedObject:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.assertNoPrimaryKeyChange
> (StateManagerImpl.java:1819)
>
> org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.settingStringField
> (StateManagerImpl.java:1800)
>     figbird.lists.entities.Email.pcSetemail(Email.java)
>     figbird.lists.entities.Email.setEmail(Email.java:36)
> --

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!