I don't know what behavior to expect out of JDBC drivers outside of a
transaction.

Regarding avoiding transactions: in most situations, you should not see
any significant performance penalties for using transactions with
OpenJPA. The authors of Pro EJB3 are all Oracle employees, so maybe
there is something in their implementation that adds non-trivial
overhead to transactions.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.

by email and then delete it.

entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally
privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received
this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete
it.