thanks pinaki,

after making those changes, on 0.9.6, i get:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.openjpa.util.ObjectId
        at com.mycompany.book.Page.pcCopyKeyFieldsToObjectId(Page.java)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.util.ApplicationIds.create(ApplicationIds.java:383)
        at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.persist(BrokerImpl.java:2349)

i built the trunk locally, and mvn installed it into my local repository. when
i run against it, i get:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: There were errors initializing your
configuration: org.apache.openjpa.lib.util.ParseException: Instantiation of
plugin "QueryCompilationCache" with value "true" caused an error
"java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.openjpa.util.CacheMap". The alias or class name may have been
misspelled (as it closely matches the valid plugin alias "true"), or the class
may not be available in the class path.  Valid aliases for this plugin are:
[all, false, true]

followed by:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.openjpa.util.CacheMap
        at serp.util.Strings.toClass(Strings.java:211)
        at serp.util.Strings.toClass(Strings.java:140)
        at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.conf.Configurations.newInstance(Configurations.java:191)

are there known issues w/ 0.9.7? what i don't understand is that ...CacheMap is
in the sample place, in the same JAR as w/ the 0.9.6 dependency, just in my
local repository.

also odd is that i only see the one info message during enhancement:

     [java] 1268  book  INFO   [main] openjpa.Tool - No targets were given.
Running on all classes in your persistent classes list, or all metadata files
in classpath directories if you have not listed your persistent classes.  Use
-help to display tool usage information.

no details are printed about the classes being enhanced. obviously this was
working in version 0,9.6.

any ideas?

Pinaki Poddar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Hello Jeff,

OpenJPA supports the cited example where Page using a composite ID which
in turn refers to Book's composite ID.

Book/Page/Library classes work with
a) openjpa-0.9.7 (do not know whether observed errors are due to usage
of earlier 0.9.6 version)
b) following modifications in Page.book field (with a + sign)

    @Id
    @Column(nullable = false)
    @ManyToOne (cascade = CascadeType.ALL)
 +   @JoinColumns({
 +      @JoinColumn(name="book_library_LIBRARY_NAME",
referencedColumnName="library_LIBRARY_NAME"),
 +      @JoinColumn(name="book_BOOK_NAME",
referencedColumnName="BOOK_NAME")
    })
    private Book book;

where the JoinColumns specification refers to following schema (as per
your Page/Book/Library class annotations):

mysql> desc book;
+----------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field                | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+----------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| library_LIBRARY_NAME | varchar(255) | NO   | PRI | NULL    |       |
| BOOK_NAME            | varchar(255) | NO   | PRI | NULL    |       |
+----------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
mysql> desc page;
+---------------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-----
--+
| Field                     | Type         | Null | Key | Default |
Extra |
+---------------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-----
--+
| book_library_LIBRARY_NAME | varchar(255) | NO   | PRI | NULL    |

| book_BOOK_NAME            | varchar(255) | NO   | PRI | NULL    |

| PAGE_NUMBER               | int(11)      | NO   | PRI | NULL    |

+---------------------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-----
--+

Without explicitly naming the join columns, following error is
generated:

Caused by: <4|true|0.9.7-incubating-SNAPSHOT>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: "crxxx.Page.book" does
not supply a name for at least one declared column.  Since this mapping
can involve multiple columns or uses constant joins, each column must
give either its name or a non-constant target.
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.MappingInfo.mergeJoinColumn(MappingInfo.jav
a:1372)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.MappingInfo.createJoins(MappingInfo.java:11
86)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.MappingInfo.createForeignKey(MappingInfo.ja
va:948)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.ValueMappingInfo.getTypeJoin(ValueMappingIn
fo.java:101)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.strats.RelationFieldStrategy.map(RelationFi
eldStrategy.java:144)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.FieldMapping.setStrategy(FieldMapping.java:
117)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.RuntimeStrategyInstaller.installStrategy(Ru
ntimeStrategyInstaller.java:77)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.FieldMapping.resolveMapping(FieldMapping.ja
va:435)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.FieldMapping.resolve(FieldMapping.java:400)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.ClassMapping.resolveNonRelationMappings(Cla
ssMapping.java:810)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.MappingRepository.prepareMapping(MappingRep
ository.java:316)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.meta.MetaDataRepository.preMapping(MetaDataRepository
.java:602)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.meta.MetaDataRepository.resolve(MetaDataRepository.ja
va:489)
 ... 24 more
NestedThrowables:
<4|true|0.9.7-incubating-SNAPSHOT>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: Field
"crxxx.Book.pages" declares "crxxx.Page.book" as its mapped-by field,
but this field is not a direct relation.
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.strats.RelationToManyInverseKeyFieldStrateg
y.map(RelationToManyInverseKeyFieldStrategy.java:123)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.strats.RelationCollectionInverseKeyFieldStr
ategy.map(RelationCollectionInverseKeyFieldStrategy.java:92)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.FieldMapping.setStrategy(FieldMapping.java:
117)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.RuntimeStrategyInstaller.installStrategy(Ru
ntimeStrategyInstaller.java:77)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.FieldMapping.resolveMapping(FieldMapping.ja
va:435)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.FieldMapping.resolve(FieldMapping.java:400)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.meta.ClassMapping.resolveMapping(ClassMapping.ja
va:781)
 at
org.apache.openjpa.meta.ClassMetaData.resolve(ClassMetaData.java:1570)

Pinaki Poddar
BEA Systems
415.402.7317