Do we need this function in 0.9.7 or can it wait until 0.9.8?

When we're dealing with external APIs we need to be very careful that we're
doing the right thing. I think we need some time to come to a consensus on
the correct approach and I'd rather not delay 0.9.7 in the meantime. Abe
cleaned up the code I dropped for default schemas earlier today, so I
believe this is the last outstanding issue with 0.9.7.

FTR I'm not voting for or against either implementation - I just don't want
to commit to one path until we can agree to one of them.

If the consensus is that this function should be included in 0.9.7 then I'll
withdraw my comment and wait.

Other gratuitous opinions:

+1 to using a JIRA or the mailing list to discuss external changes before
committing.

+1 to Abe's comment regarding hint naming conventions, we should try to stay
consistent.