I'm having some trouble getting openjpa to work properly with persistence units directly in unpacked wars in geronimo, and before I spend a lot of time looking for dead ends I wonder if anyone knows if there are some circumstances in which openjpa can scan for classes in an unpacked directory such as WEB-INF/classes? Right now in the geronimo integration openjpa seems to be trying to read the directory as if it is an xml file, which fails with a SAX exception:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: org.xml.sax.SAXException: file:/Users/ david/geronimo/svn/(.....).war/WEB-INF/classes/ [Location: Line: 1, C: 1]: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog. at org.apache.openjpa.lib.meta.XMLMetaDataParser.parseNewResource (XMLMetaDataParser.java:376) at org.apache.openjpa.lib.meta.XMLMetaDataParser.parse (XMLMetaDataParser.java:315) at org.apache.openjpa.lib.meta.XMLMetaDataParser.parse (XMLMetaDataParser.java:292) at org.apache.openjpa.lib.meta.XMLMetaDataParser.parse (XMLMetaDataParser.java:266) at org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceMetaDataFactory.parseXML (PersistenceMetaDataFactory.java:234)

thanks
david jencks