How hard is it to add a reflection/cglib type alternative to the upfront
bytecode generation (like hibernate does) to save us from the
development-time pain?

Not particularly hard. There are a few APIs that would break for some
cases,  but it's even pretty straightforward to do a subclassing
approach for property-based access type without losing much
performance -- the only cost in that configuration is with
persistent-new instances.

-Patrick