From: Boyd Ako <boyd.hanalei....@gmail.com>
To: Jan Cerny <jce...@redhat.com>
Cc: open-scap-list <open-scap-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Fri, Jan 11, 2019 8:06 pm
Subject: Re: [Open-scap] Making Fix Templates

What do you mean by "map" the XCCDFs of SSG and DISA? I've looked into the the
DISA Vunerability IDs referenceing the CCI/CCEs that it's for. I haven't
checked it against the SSG XCCDF though.
Yeah... I know the "generate fix" thing is muck. I'm actually having to rebuild
a system because the script killed my bootloader.
I'm essentially trying to use the "generate fix" functionality using external
snippets. It's pretty obvious the snippets and the results are not that
dependable to use on production systems. It's what the template used to do. It
finds CCI XXX as open and searches the template for function CCI XXX and adds
the snippet to script. The snippet it's self would also "double check" the
finding and "fix" the finding in means that you could run it over and over
again and it'd only do something when the snippet actually finds the finding as
open.
I get why the snippets are included into the XCCDF. However, it doesn't have
the ability to take in logic and conditions on a "per system" basis. I know
that's where the "tailoring" comes in. But that's also to "static". By using a
template, in the PRE section I can state that "if 3rd IP octet is 130 do not
run fix for CCI XXX or use value of blah for CCI XXX setting" noting some
official documentation for exception.
That all being said, all Open SCAP then does is essentially just scan the
system. And in my work environment the SPAWAR SCC is the more approved scanner.
And I could make a script to read the results XML and generate a fix script
like Open SCAP would do. But, that would imply that we don't need Open SCAP to
begin with and remove a justification for the department to purchase Red Hat
Satellite. ... However, if I can use the Open SCAP to use the stated authorized
and approved DISA XCCDF and then use a template to fill in the blanks for the
finding snippets that would be a means more likely to be approved.

All the XCCDFs are good for scanning. But, the fixing and remediation is where
most of the Sys Ads complain. And the XCCDF code snippets are not reliable
because only a really tiny group of people are able to update the XCCDF files;
officially. If the template function worked, I'd imagine a bunch of people
collaborating on making fix templates on GITHUB or where ever. The XCCDF file
needs to be official and authorized. The fix templates do not.

Thank you for your time,

Boyd H. Ako

boyd.hanalei.ako@gmail.comhttps://www.boydhanaleiako.me

|  |  |